Mobile App Extension
The Mobile App Extension for UniversitySite expands on the capabilities of UniversitySite by providing the ability to customize the mobile app to match your branding and to promote app installation when visiting LearningSite using a mobile device.
Introduction to Progressive Web Apps
Promotion of App Installation
- On LearningSite’s Home Page
- On other pages in LearningSite
- SAML-based SSO is available so users will be prompted to supply their organization credentials instead of a UniversitySite specific password
- If not using SSO, Email based authentication is available in mobile Safari but is not available for the standalone mobile app because Apple does not support opening links to web apps.
- HTTPS is required
- Links inside email will not open the standalone app because Apple does not support this capability for web apps. Links inside email will open the app in Safari which provides the exact same user experience as the standalone app.
- When visiting LearningSite in Safari, it doesn’t know if you have installed the standalone app and it cannot switch to the standalone app, so it will suggest installing the app even if you already have done so. For this reason, LearningSite only suggests installing the app when you visit the home page otherwise it would get annoying.